Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Game 2 Prediction, history not on Aeros' side

Response in the playoffs is paramount; it's all part of the cat and mouse (chess?) game that makes this sport so engaging at this time of the year. One team wins, the other makes adjustments and it really is interesting to see what that team does the next time out on the ice.

My opinion is that hockey is the most fun sport to watch at any time. But during the playoffs, even the casual fan is drawn in. Peoria has to win this game if they want a chance in this series. Going home down 2-0 will force them into the mentality that they'll have to win all three games just to get a chance at advancing.

I've said it before, and I will say it again: that would not be impossible, just not likely.

Historically/statistically, whatever ... if the Aeros win tonight, they are all but a dead lock to win the series. In 17 years - 15 of which included the postseason - they have never lost a series where they took a 2-0 lead at home. Once, they won the first two road games at Chicago in 2000 and then lost the next four.

But history also says they will not win tonight, and that is my prediction as well. Ten times before the Aeros have won Game 1 at home. Six of those times they drop Game 2. Statistically, that is not all that bad, but I think this series will go seven games and the Rivermen are going to steal at least one here in Houston.

Tonight is the night, and I say 3-1, Peoria with Jake Allen getting the No. 1 or No. 2 star of the game. Predicitions are nothing but senseless fun, what is your prediction for the game tonight? What about for the rest of the series?

7 comments:

B2Bomber said...

Oddball: Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves.

Houston 3 Peoria 2

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

Oddball? Check your facts, kind sir. I was one of just three of us that picked the Aeros to win the series.

But I know what you mean, but hey, I still think this is going seven games. And it's not going seven games unless Peoria wins tonight.

John Royal said...

Okay. Thanks to B2B I really need to rewarch Kelly's Heroes.

Anonymous said...

Houston wins again 4-2. I believe they can do it.

B2bomber said...

Not calling you an oddball Andrew...now way would I insult you. Oddball was a character in the movie Kelly's Heros played by Donald Sutherland. I was giving credit for the quote.

Andrew J. Ferraro said...

Ah very nice! John gave the low down on the reference ... sorry I missed that!

Not sorry about being wrong on the prediction.

How fun was that game?

B2Bomber said...

Well, I got the score right....just not the OT!! I'll take it though!! Great Game.